At Sue Pryor Swimming we have an indoor, heated pool 12.5m x 6m (3 lanes), which is specifically designed for teaching. With the water kept between 30-33ºC all year round, the water is always comfortable.
Our pool features 5 small steps, just under 25cm high, with sturdy rails either side. The pool is 1m deep at the shallow end and remains so for a third of the pool before dropping down to 1.8m deep, allowing children to learn important safety skills when swimming in deep water. There is also a shallow ledge that runs along the length of the pool that helps to build confidence.
"If you can't swim in deep water, you can't swim" - Laurie Lawrence
For those that need assistance entering the pool we have a pool lifter. To use the lifter, clients and/or their carers, or service providers (physiotherapists ect.) must supply a sling and be trained in manual handling, for more information please talk to admin.
Water chemistry is very important to us. The chemicals are balanced to allow for swimmers comfort and for minimal chlorine to be used. Our water is also UV and Ozone treated before it enters the pool.
Alongside the pool we have 4 curtained off change rooms, two bathrooms - one being disabled friendly and the other containing a rinse off shower. This area, along with the office, is kept cool in summer and warm in winter, considering the comfort of everyone.
We also have snacks and drinks available for purchase as well as an automatic coffee/hot chocolate machine for a warm drink.
Environmentally Friendly Practices
Whenever possible we use natural cleaning products, leaving as little impact on the environment as possible. All waste is recycled, composted or re-used whenever possible.
- recycled toilet paper and hand towels
- recyclable containers for our snacks
- recycling bin for all recyclable products (paper, cardboard, plastic)
- 10c deposit items go into a separate bin
- shredded paper is composted
- scrap paper (confidential papers are shredded) is used in the office and provided as drawing paper for children
- RI Treatment system re-used grey water from the house and business which is used to water the Pryor's orchard
- vinegar and eucalyptus oil used as cleaning agents
- Greedy Gecko eco pest control brought in every summer to control the insects around the pool facility
- Solar time-delayed car park lighting
- timers on filters, pumps and heaters
- natural lighting used in pool and office
- natural ventilation, decreasing the reliance on heating and cooling systems
- heat pumps and solar heaters, reducing our reliance on gas heaters
- emails whenever possible to reduce paper use
- drought tolerant, heavily mulched garden over the whole property
- minimal water used to keep lawn green
- rainwater for house & pool
- rinse off shower only
- timers in lawn and garden for watering
- no unnecessary pool backwashing